Monday, January 16, 2006

bullies in life

being homeschooled, i was "protected" from those bullies many school-age children run into until i was a sophomore in highschool. even then, i wasn't "full-time" (i took an espanol class, while continuing to homeschool) plus i played softball, which made me a less-picked-on prospect i suppose.

so, needless to say, i haven't really had to worry about bullies...until karate. of course, karate is an attraction to bullies - i suppose it's the perfect place to learn as well as practice, don't ask me because i wouldn't know, i've just observed! ~wink~ however, i managed to meet the first person who has ever tried to bully me around - and it didn't stop with me, it's also been my sisters (which, if you have any younger siblings, you understand how the most fierce side reveals itself when a younger sister is bullied!)...and my personality did exactly as i had thought, i became determined to let her know i wasn't going to be ran over and that i would take up for my sisters!

as i've been dealing with that, i've taken a look around and realize how full of bullies our world really is. not just "physical" bullies, but people who bully their way into companies and seem to move up the executive ladder, they bully their way into "control" of others, i've even seen people bully their way into church leaderships! there are some who bully for the sake of bullying, a few vie for control, some have a goal to meet, for others it's just a way of life!

whatever the case, Jesus said, "blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth." (italics mine) meek = gentle, humble in spirit or manner. wow, what an exact opposite of all bullies are. He goes on to say, "blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God." (italics mine)

as much as i wish i didn't have to deal with bullies, i've realized that it's life. but, as i've been watching them, i've realized it's only a form of their own insecurities coming out. and while i hate the act of bullying, i still feel for them and wish i could do something to help them. but, until the desire to change, there's absolutely nothing i can possibly do.

another realization i've had is they are only trying to be happy - which they have a right to be. unfortunately, their so-called "happiness" is coming at the cost of others who are put down because of it.

the next time i see someone seeking to be happy at my (or someone else's expense), i'll realize they are only seeking to be happy and content in the only way they know how and say a little prayer for them, that they may find the only One who can give them true joy!

2 Comments:

Blogger V. Shay said...

A sadder thing is when you catch an adult trying to manipulate and bully a young person. It's weird when you're a kid, because you think all adults are flawless, and then you get older and find out that they are no better people than you are yourself. I will pray for you and Tarah.

Tue Jan 17, 08:40:00 AM EST  
Blogger Nic said...

Excellent post! I've known a few bullies in my day. In high school they were the football players, who were my friends and I was the only one to speak out about it and take them to task in front of everyone else for harrassing the special ed kids. It made me SO MAD to see them do that. I can remember standing there waving my finger at guys who averaged 6'2" and 250 pounds and they stood there and took it and even stopped it for the most part when I was around. Far as I know I was the only one in 3 years in their clique at that public school to not think they were the be all end all in popularity.

Good for you dear one for taking a stand.

Wed Jan 18, 01:18:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home