Wednesday, January 18, 2006

almost-knocked-out!

ever since putting in extra training time with out instructor to prepare for our first tournament, "fighting" with him (a 2nd degree black belt, no less!) has become a tradition on tuesday nights at karate. so, we do about a third of the class with the all-belt forms class, then head off to spar! well, last night (tuesday night), at the last minute tarah decided not to go - so that left faith and i. so, our instructor was able to give us both some individual attention and work with us.

well, one thing i've needed to work on is to see and "committ" to attacking - going all the way with strength and speed. so, he did "soft boxing" with us, where we both just went at it and got hit. well, he decided to throw a kick and i ducked just enough for it to hit right in the back of my neck - just below where my head gear is. it knocked me down and made me dizzy, giving me a headache!

i had a headache for the rest of the evening, but tonight i sparred much better! he had that proud look, of knowing he had worked with me and i had learned! and mom even noticed an improvement!

at the end of the class he told me i was doing much better. "but," he said, "i almost had to knock you out to get you there!" haha then he said, "yeah, mr. 2nd degree picking on the yellow belt girls!"

work today was pretty good! nothing really eventful to report.

6 Comments:

Blogger Mike Jones said...

Nothing like a good butt-kickin' to get you in gear, huh?

I'm absolutely bewildered by karate. I haven't the slightest inkling, outside of "The Karate Kid" what goes on. I hear, though, it is really good training and discipline.

Keep your dukes up, or keep your head low, or dance like a butterfly and sting like a bee, or whatever it is you're sposed to do in karate!

And keep your face off the mat! I think that's a universal rule no matter what martial art you learn.

Thu Jan 19, 01:04:00 AM EST  
Blogger Matt said...

I've always been curious about the origins of "martial arts". I've never been in a real fight but it seems to me that if things got really martial I wouldn't have time for art.

I'm glad you're having fun and getting better. Karate looks like it would be a fun sport.

Thu Jan 19, 01:07:00 AM EST  
Blogger V. Shay said...

You're very brave! I've been wanted to try martial arts but I'm too scared I'd get clobbered.

Glad stuff's going good for you.

Thu Jan 19, 08:58:00 AM EST  
Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

I can see a potential black belt here!

Thu Jan 19, 01:14:00 PM EST  
Blogger Radical One said...

i'm so sorry you had to get "beat up". i hate that. but i am glad you are learning so much, and you really are good! but i still can't understand how such a girlie-girl can transform to "karate kid".

stay sweet. stay real.

Thu Jan 19, 05:54:00 PM EST  
Blogger Ryan said...

geez... you have no idea how much i wish i was taking karate...

Fri Jan 20, 12:34:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home