Tuesday, January 03, 2006

i wonder...

ok, i know this is something i've been wondering for a while considering i went and saw the movie on opening weekend, have read the books, and even was in a play about it - what an evil role i had...ewww. anyway, i've really been thinking about how the chronicles of narnia: the lion, the witch, and the wardrobe had lots of symbolisms, that's just the type of guy c.s. lewis was. he wrote about things that were in direct parallel to Jesus and mankind. one part that seemed pretty significant was the cracking of the stone table when aslan came back to life. i've been trying to figure out what symbolism {if any} it holds.

is anyone else wondering this, too? any ideas? or maybe one of my many bright readers have this whole thing figured out?

on another note...karate starts back tonight! we've been out for over a week....yes, over a week! i haven't known what to do with myself. i guess iguana-sitting helped a little! haha

and work starts back, bright and early, tomorrow. i must resume my schedule of waking up at 5:30 or 6:00 in the mornings now...it was a nice, almost-week long break!

i guess i'll go make sure i can still find my dobok and yellow belt! oh, i guess i do need by sparring pads, as well...a blackbelt may just let us beat up on him tonight! :-)

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Regarding the breaking of the stone table-If you recall, Aslan made "the deal" with the White Witch (Queen) to offer himself in the place of Edmund for his deserved penalty. The book explains it better than the movie. But, the White Queen refers to the deep magic (in that she has to be given control of any who are traitors). Aslan acknowledged this and offered himself [SACRIFICE]in Edmund's place.[REDEMPTION] But, Aslan knew of the deeper magic (written on the stone table) that was if anyone who was INNOCENT offered himself in another's place, his life would be restored.[RESURRECTED] The breaking of the stone table, I think, could be representative of the fulfilling of the OLD LAW (Old Testament)[having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross.
Colossians 2:13-15] and also its abolishment. Hence, the establishment of the NEW LAW would be necessary. Also, it must certainly represent the victory over death.

Tue Jan 03, 08:40:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This really is your real Uncle Bill.

Tue Jan 03, 08:43:00 PM EST  
Blogger Crazy Daisy said...

Yeah, that's what I say, Dad. :-)

Tue Jan 03, 09:03:00 PM EST  
Blogger Matt said...

Darn, your uncle beat me to the punch.

I've always seen the breaking of the stone table symbolizing the replacement of the Old Covenant with a New Covenant ala Hebrews 8. I think this is similar to the tearing of the temple curtain and the earthquake in Matthew 27.

Tue Jan 03, 09:17:00 PM EST  
Blogger Mike Jones said...

I always thought the breaking of the table was symbolic of the tearing of the curtain in the Holy of Holies, in the jewish temple, removing that final seperation between man and God.

I like your uncle bill's explanation just as well, though. It definitely represents a victory of death, and, since there is no longer a stone table, there can no more sacrifices upon it.

My favorite part of the film, though... that part that set chills down my spine, was when the witch was quoting the law to Aslan, and Aslan roared back,

"Don't quote the deep magic to me, witch. I was there when it was written!",

reminding me of how Christ was THERE when creation all went down. Pretty cool beans, for me. ;-)

Wed Jan 04, 01:18:00 AM EST  
Blogger Doug E. said...

I just thought Aslan was really heavy!!!

Just Kidding, That is one of my favorite parts of the movie. Right on Uncle Bill.

Doug

Wed Jan 04, 04:02:00 PM EST  
Blogger Andrew said...

Your don't know me, but I know daylilylady which I think you do. I do think you can look at it the ways mentioned in here, but you can't just flat out say that's what the author was trying to do as it appears is being done in this post. I have read many of Lewis's works and find him very deep and many times drasticaly different in each of his many books. I have even heard Lewis wrote it just as fiction, saying "what if" there was a loin that happened to be supprisingly like Jesus and some children "happened" to get into an experiance like biblical happenings. Aslan is not entirly like Jesus. But even with this we can find many aligories and the like, but they are our interperatations, not the authors defenate idea when writing for certain.

Thu Jan 12, 11:03:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home