Wednesday, April 12, 2006

today & a challenge...

i've been out and about with granny duh today. we started off with karate (she went to the weight room and did a few things in there...nothing heavy! lol). then we went to get the car serviced (long overdue!). ate at wendy's. off to get her allergy shots, which papa hoyt went with her to do and she had to tell the story to those ladies. then off to get his cell phone disconnected - good news though, her contract with that company is up which means she can switch to the one we and aunt sonya use and we cant talk 24/7 for free! :-) then to see about getting the papers to get his will probated. then to wally world to print a picture of papa hoyt so she can tell him "good morning, darling" when she wakes up - a tradition they had.

then back to see crustae (my cousin who's my age...who is married and has two kids) and billy & stephanie (papa hoyt's son and his wife). they had been waiting on us for a few hours! lol

things are alright, i guess. just still seems so unreal. i guess it will hit home when i visit the grave site and see his name engraved on the grave marker.

well, i need to try to get things going again and "resume" life as it was...although it's been forever changed twice in the last three weeks.

beckie at passion has given a challenge...

I'd like to see what other people think and how many different ideas there are. The question is: "Imagine trying to fit at least one small act of kindness into every day. What kinds of things could you do to achieve this goal?"

It's so simple, just think about what you'd like to have done for you! Let's see what we can come up with


she got a list to start us off. here are some of mine (and perhaps a few of the other ladies have beat me to the punch...but i just don't know it yet! lol):

as you walk past a stranger, look them in the eye and genuinely smile! this is a personal favorite!

when you check-out, crack a joke to lighten the cashier/bag boy's day. they've been there for a long time so they could serve you, go ahead and help make their day a little better.

when you meet someone, look at them and repeat their name, making sure you pronounced it right.

if you see someone with a hair color, shirt, scarf, a pair of sandals, anything that you like, gently get their attention (heaven sakes, don't scare them to death doing it though!) and give them a true compliment. not just a general, "I like your shirt," but, "i just love the color of your shirt. it looks so good with your complexion!" you've just achieved two things...one, you gave them a true, detailed compliment and they know you weren't just giving a general compliment good for just anyone. two, you made them feel good about themself and given them a reason to hold their head a little higher and smile!

when you bake some bread, cookies, goodies for your family, bake a little extra and just "pop" in to your elderly relatives with it and visit for a few minutes. they love the surprise and it's an extra bonus if it goes great with coffee!

write a letter to a family member and leave it in the car, on a mirror, or nightstand (where they'll find it) so they'll get it as they get their day started. what a wonderful way to begin your day!

when at gatherings, offer to refill someone's drink if you see it getting low. a way to let your family know you love them is to offer to refill their drink (or get them one) while watching a movie or while you're just around the house.


ok, that's my list of good deeds for the day! lol you know, that felt good! maybe i need to start serving and loving more, that would probably be just the prescription to get out of feeling so drab about everything! i can focus on others! thanks, beckie, that was a wonderful challenge - please let me know if/when you have others!

10 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

Those were great ideas!

Lately I have been trying to get better at complimenting people about their outfit, or hair style, etc. I know that it would make me feel good, and so it makes me happy to bring a smile to others' faces.

Wed Apr 12, 07:27:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Matt said...

I'm never home to say/do nice things anymore.

I think the best thing I can do right now is to get independent so that I'm not such a burden.

Wed Apr 12, 08:18:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Radical One said...

um well...since you asked.....you could wash and wax my car for me, you could bake me some honey sweet bread...oh , is that not what you were lookin for??? hehe

no seriously, you are awesome at serving others. thanks for all you do. you are truly a princess!

blessings!

Wed Apr 12, 10:36:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Radical One said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Wed Apr 12, 10:36:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are the sweetest girl I know...really. I think you are doing the best for granny duh - just doing things with her.
Okay - so your cousin is your age and has two kids - yikes (sorry). Love you good deeds list.
I do most of them on a daily basis - I guess that's why all the cashiers know me by name at our local grocery store (not naming the name - don't want to advertise - lol).
Write a note-card to my Sweetheart once a week (reminder - get one for this week)...
You are sooooooo neat. :) I wish I wouldn't live so far away - I would take you for a cup-o-coffee, or what ever strikes your fancy...
(((hugs)))

Wed Apr 12, 11:14:00 PM EDT  
Blogger cs said...

Hey,
Yeah, when things hit you, remember where he IS... heaven... Praise be to God...

Wed Apr 12, 11:49:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi sweet girl. I'm with Iris. You are the sweetest girl I know (in blogland).

When my Dad died my parents were divorced and I was away at school so I didn't see him daily. I knew he was dead, but it really didn't "sink in" until a little later when I realized that I'd never see him again.

I wasn't a believer at the time so I can only hope he's in heaven. That's a hard one.

I'm glad you've got granny duh to be with...it will be so healing for you both.

Thanks SO MUCH for your answers-they were awesome! I've gotten some really good ones. I'll be posting answers in a few days (hopefully).

Thu Apr 13, 08:11:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Nic said...

I like to hold the door for people at restaurants - especially if they are elderly, have kids or are disabled. It helps them a lot and makes me feel better for having done a kind act for them.

Thu Apr 13, 12:43:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Bill said...

I haven't been online much but I think I am back. I hope all is well. It will take me awhile to read up on all that has happened. How are you? I mean how are you really? in your heart of hearts?

Bill

Thu Apr 13, 03:07:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

What a wonderful thing to do.

You are invited to my 200th post party over the weekend in which all members on my Bloglist Guest Quarters will be mentioned.

Thu Apr 13, 03:35:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home