Tuesday, May 30, 2006

bruised ribs

...hurt! LOL

I'll start from the beginning... On Friday evening, word was going around that we were off on Monday (Memorial Day) in observance of the holiday. But, some of us "crazy karates" weren't particularly fond of taking the day off - so we banded together and came up with our own mini-class, to work on some kicks, forms, and fighting. Needless to say, I was so excited!

Well, the family goes and after stretching, a few kicks and different things, we get to the sparring part of class. How it works is you'll spar with one person for a few minutes then change partners, to practice different things and learn to defend different techniques. T and I usually choose to fight each other first - as sisters, we feel the liberty to be a little "rough" with each other. Plus, we're on the same "level" so really can give each other a good challenge. Next, comes a red belt (the belt right before black), and she's got hard kicks...needless to say, she's pretty good! LOL Next in line is a black belt...one of the best from, not only our studio, but in our form of karate - he's been the "grand champion" of many tournaments and his training is personally overseen by the best from our form of karate. I'll state the obvious, he's awesome.

He had been working with me earlier, before sparring, and I was still working on some techniques he'd just got through showing me. I was thinking heavily about my foot-work and other things, and was thinking I might get a little help with him being a great black belt. It just wasn't my luck! I guess he was ready to spar, and before too long there's a kick to my ribs that leaves them stinging. I've been hit there before and I figure it will ease up before long. I bend over trying to release some pressure, but to no avail. Finally, I move on to another black belt - one who is much more understanding and one I respect very much. I asked him not to kill me (a typical joke!) and not to hit me in the stomach. I had to bend over again and he asked what was up - I told him I had been hit in the stomach and it hurt. He stopped and told me to just breath... and then it was time to change partners again. Before I even began fighting the next round, I had to go sit down. I couldn't keep going.

It was funny, as soon as I stepped out, several of the guys started holding their hands up saying, "It wasn't me!" "I haven't touched her!" "I haven't even fought her!" LOL

I have become friends with a firefighter, Gary, who's been coming up through the ranks with me. Him and his wife have become fast friends to our family (we actually had plans for them to come over following karate). With Mom being there, she wants to take all the precaution she can - so she asks Gary to just come and look at my ribs. He steps out and by this time, I was drawing attention, obviously. Having been in there with many of these people, they pretty much know me and how I rarely step back from sparring and sit it out.

The instructor of the class was over there, checking on me. He was apologetic, especially since I got injured by a black belt. He handled it the best he could.

I sit back and watch as they separate the black belts to spar from the underbelts. As it turns out, the same guy ends up hurting another guy, ultimately bloodying his nose. I guess it goes to show how remorseful he was for hurting a lower belt female...

About 20 minutes later, my stomach starts this sick/hurting sensation. Like a knot in my stomach that hurts, yet makes me sick. Mom gets Gary to once again look at it, and he pushes on it some more. He concludes I've got bruised ribs because the back of my ribs are hurting, too. My stomach starts hurting so intensely and I'm ready to get out of there.

I come home, lay down, get some ice on the ribs, take some pain killer, and try to relax. I'm grateful Gary and Tenny still came over, gave me a "distraction" while I wasn't feeling so well. I did end up getting really nauseated before the evening was over, and throughout the night I'd wake up nauseated. But, so thankfully, by morning that did pass!

Now I'm just sore and have a battle mark left at the bottom of my rib cage. It appeared last night, looks like the side of a foot or something. I'm glad it was me and not T...because then I really would be mad - nobody messes with my little sis and gets away with it! LOL

It could've been a lot worse. As it is, I'll probably steer clear of sparring for a few weeks, to make sure it heals completely.

And I had a tournament coming up soon...even if I can do it, won't be exactly trained for it. But I'll count the blessings of them only being bruised, not broke, fractured, or separated!

Hopefully, you all had a better Memorial Day! Mine wasn't all bad, I did learn how to make homemade ice cream (peach, at that!) and made a great batch! Strawberry flavor is next! I also have been baking and out and about visiting family and delivering bread! So, it's been a great weekend and I don't want to focus too much one the 5% of bad that did happen....although I guess that's already happened to an extent.

17 Comments:

Blogger Luke said...

I never knew bruised ribs made you feel nauseous...that's interesting. I'm sorry you had to go through that though.

My dad fell off some scaffolding several years ago and broke 5 of his ribs. He said it was some of the worst pain he's ever felt. It's pretty miserable when it hurts to breathe.

Tue May 30, 03:51:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Juggling Mother said...

Sounds bad:-( I guess that's the problem with having a full contact hobby - Aggie got the most fantastic bruise from a stray arrow last weekend (it was a blunt arrow, but still....), but we wouldn't ive up re-enacting for the world.

Glad you're feeling better now. Did you get it checked out at the hospital at all? I always worry about internal stuff.

Here playing Wendy's casting call game today.

Tue May 30, 04:25:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Radical One said...

yea, i don't understand the whole nauseous part either.

praying for you to be completely well, VERY SOON! i hate this whole injury part of this sport! i know, i know, it just goes along with it, but it doesn't keep me from hating it.

blessings!

Tue May 30, 06:36:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Az said...

yea, i don't understand the whole nauseous part either.

praying for you to be completely well, VERY SOON! i hate this whole injury part of this sport! i know, i know, it just goes along with it, but it doesn't keep me from hating it.

blessings!m hating it.

blessings!

Tue May 30, 06:43:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Hannah said...

Awwwwww! Maegan, we will be praying for you!! I know how it feels. (well part, lol I never got kicked like that) But i did get kicked pretty hard in the stomach a couple times!

Tue May 30, 09:46:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Matt said...

That sounds pretty bad but I guess it comes with the territory when you practice a martial art.

I don't know if it makes you feel better to know you've avoided somethign worse but you can be thankful you didn't choose boxing as your sport. A big part of the game is achieving knockouts which from what I've heard don't feel to nice afterwards. Not to mention they really batter each others bodies.

Tue May 30, 11:03:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Gordon said...

That sounded pretty painful. You take care of yourself and feel better soon.

Tue May 30, 11:26:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh dear, I feel so bad that you had such a bad time with your sparing.
Okay, I better start telling our son to visit Georgia soon. You sound like an awesome girl (I know, I repeat myself). I am sure you have lots and lots of guys standing in line for you anyway and your parents have to fight them off. But then again, you just might do that yourself - lol.
Hope your rib is healing soon, sweet one.

Tue May 30, 11:30:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Jim said...

Hi no average. I've read here before but haven't left a comment.
I hope you are feeling better real soon. Those boys should 'be nice to girls,' my mother taught me that.
I'm here because your mom hasn't updated her blog for a while. I wanted to see if she was o.k. She left a post here, so yes,she is.
Too, I got her Soul Scents: LEAVING HOME yesterday; I figured out then maybe she was just plain busy.
Tell her hello for me (Jim).
Thanks.
..

Wed May 31, 12:08:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Hanley Family said...

ouch...

This is completely OT, but I didn't see an email listed. Feel free to delete this comment...I just stopped by because you mentioned being homeschooled and I am working on an article about homeschool graduates. If you would be at all interested in answering a few questions, please let me know.

gottsegnetatyahoodotcom

Wed May 31, 01:25:00 AM EDT  
Blogger owlhaven said...

Feel better soon!

Mary

Wed May 31, 01:30:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Viamarie said...

Ouch! Hope you'll feel better tomorrow.

Take Care.

Wed May 31, 08:23:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ouch! An old mom says you'd better take it easy. Two aspirin and call me in the morning! LOL Hope you're feeling better.

I'm finally back and my WW is up.

Wed May 31, 10:00:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Dionna said...

Hope you mend soon and aren't in too much pain! And peach ice cream sounds so yummy!
Missed ya girlfriend!

Wed May 31, 02:02:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Bethany said...

That does not sound fun! The Karate part does, but NOT the bruised ribs. :) I hope you heel quickly!

Bethany

Wed May 31, 02:54:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Nathan L. said...

I hope you feel better soon. God bless!!

Wed May 31, 04:24:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Kimber said...

Oh girl, I am so sorry you got hurt! Hope you are feeling a little better now!

I am so with your mom on this one...I know that injuries can happen with any sport, but when they happen to my kids - well, I am miserable!!

Take care of yourself..and ease back into it only when you are all healed, okay?!!

Thu Jun 01, 08:31:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home