Monday, May 01, 2006

emotionally drained

hey all...i'm just so emotionally drained from today. when will life be "normal"?

i had a busy day scheduled. a political meeting at 9:00, cpr training with my grandmother at 10:00 and going to karate, either the day class or early in the evening - depending on what happened.

i guess there's just some things that aren't meant to happen, you know? well, i had successfully met and signed the papers and had gotten the mail from the post office by 9:30, just in time to run home to pick t up and go to my grandmother's house for the class.

on the way back, i noticed a police car. now, i usually take note of them and didn't really think anything about it, but just watched my speed extra careful. i see they are turning left and i was going right. well, i look behind me and see they had made a right hand turn instead of going left. that's weird, i thought. well, they get right up behind me and follow me a ways. i'm trying to figure out what's happening, but there are no sirens or lights.

before too long, the sirens come on. i slow down to 30 mph, to let him know i don't plan on getting away and immediately call my mom, as my grandfather was a state trooper for years who told mom to go to a public place before pulling over, and as a female i do fear for my safety. i let her know he's pulling me over, i don't know why, but i told her where i was planning on going, to wendy's. in the meantime, the officer walks up to the car and commands me to get off the phone. i was talking to mom, and she heard his tone. i was like, "mom, i've got to go...i'm at wendy's." he then informs me that i could be arrested for "obstruction of justice" because i didn't pull over. he said he could charge me with "fleeing" from him! ha, yeah, in a mustang i'm going to flee from him at 30 mph in a 45 mph zone in the slow lane behind a dump truck! looking back at it now, if i was wanting to flee, i could've even gotten on the interstate and easily left him in the dust...but did they see that? nope!

he says my tag is expired and he needs my license and registration and all that stuff - well, he demands it. i tell him it's my mother's car, and i don't handle that type of stuff. but i go through the glove box and find enough to satisfy his demands. before another demand comes out, "give me your car keys!" by this point, i was shaking and in tears. i looked in my rear-view mirror and saw two other cop cars, sirens blasting pull up behind his car. what am i now, a common criminal? i do my best to follow the laws, the speed limits, everything only to have some punk pull me over and humiliate me.

he comes back up, and once again says i was fleeing from an officer, but he was only going to give me a citation for the expired tag...what am i supposed to do - get down on my knees and thank this guy? i asked, "there's no warning, nothing?" "no warning. just this citation." ok, this is my first time to be pulled over. i, personally, have done nothing wrong, in my mother's car, and i get the ticket on my record?

he stuck it in my face and said, "i need you to sign here." second lesson, through politics i was taught to never sign something you didn't read and aren't fully aware of what you're signing. i tell him i'm not thinking straight and asked, "can i have a parent come look at this before i sign it?"

"no. you're 20 years old!" he practically shouts.

"ok, so what if i don't sign?"

"well, in that case, i could arrest you!"

i'm ready to have this ranting man out of my face, so i just sign the thing after skimming over it. i then have to pull over complete out of traffic to regain my composure. thankfully, mom and dad had come there and were so encouraging and gave me hugs as i cried. then, my dad and i went down to the police department. what's sad, is his supervisor was in the car with him and was listening by microphone. said he was a little "excited" because i was fleeing and he didn't know what he was dealing with - drugs, stolen car, etc. ok, so then why didn't he soften when he realized i didn't have a record...period?

this lady supervisor was good at "spinning" things to cover. i guess i'm just another number, another "could be" criminal - and i must be treated as such.

turns out, the tag office forgot to send us a notice. thing is, through politics i think i know just about every judge in the county...except this one! thankfully, we did get a letter from the tax commissioner saying his office was to blame and the failed to send the notice.

ok, guys, i think i'm done ranting now...it's just been a hard two months and this on top of it just seems makes the lava come out of an already-boiling volcano. hopefully, it's out of my system now and i can go grab a book and relax before i get another stress headache....

18 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

That's perfectly awful! I can see why your mom was so outraged! That's just . . . wrong.

Tue May 02, 12:16:00 AM EDT  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Well that Policeman sounds like he has a problem. Talk about the need for "power". Perfectly horrible! I'm glad you had the smarts to call youyr Mom and that your folks then came to where you were...An experience like that is a bad thing for so very many reasons but to me the worst thing about it is, It makes you feel that you cannot trust the police...Not a good feeling, at all.
I'm here from Wendy's tonight! Very nice to meet you!

Tue May 02, 12:41:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Crystal said...

Yes, go get a book, take a bath, listen to music. Relax! Again I am so sorry about that hon. God bless!

Tue May 02, 01:11:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Gordon said...

Yikes! and I thought I had a tough day.

Sounds like your policeman had a bad day too, but he shouldn't take it on you.

Tue May 02, 01:22:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Star said...

I feel so bad for you! I heard about this on your mom's sight. I sure hope today is a great day for you!

Love ya.

Tue May 02, 07:26:00 AM EDT  
Blogger momsmusings said...

Wow, what an awful thing to go through. I hope you are feeling better today. I have visited here before but found your link thorugh Wendy's today!

Tue May 02, 09:39:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Luke said...

Wow...what an experience. Definitely not fun to go through. One of the things I always try to do when I go through a unique experience (whether good or bad) is to apply it to my spiritual growth. One of the things I thought of when I was reading your story, is how Jesus must have felt as he sat silent through his unjust accusation. I don't know for sure, but I bet you're in a better place to understand that now, than you were two days ago.

I find it amazing how so often things happen in our life that seem really horrible but ultimately serve for our sanctification.

I'm not happy to hear you went through this, but based on what I know about you, I'm confident you'll use this experience to grow!

Tue May 02, 09:47:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Radical One said...

i didn't know he took your keys! omg'ness. why? i've never heard of that. and the guys not too smart either, sounds like he was learning more about how to bully people, instead of math, cos you're not 20 years old...try 10 big james car 61. yea i can feel i ain't done with this deal yet.

momma bear....i like that kimber!!!!! i thought i might be all better today, but i think not!

Tue May 02, 10:28:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Codymo said...

Cops......so many things I could say. But, I won't. Cops overreact alot. That is a crazy experience that you will be able to tell over and over. Cops are on power trips and there is not anything we can do. I'm impressed you haven't gotten a ticket or anything till now, and it wasn't even your fault. Sorry it has been rough. God is faithful. It's the rough times that we learn from our scars.

Tue May 02, 10:40:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Vicki said...

It sure made me hopping mad to learn how this cop treated you!! I've had similar run-ins with the police, and each time, I was innocent of any wrong-doing, and yet, had to pray under my breath to just get through the nonsense. I don't like being treated like a criminal but get nervous even during routine traffic checks. Your parents were so sweet to come and support you in your time of need. {{Hugs}} Sometimes I think police are just scared because of all the violence out there--but he should have been able to tell that you weren't any sort of troublemaker.

Hang in there, sweetie.

love you bunches,
Vicki

Tue May 02, 11:45:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Valerie said...

OMG, I can see why you would be upset, that would freak me out too.

Tue May 02, 11:53:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Carmen said...

Sometimes I think the police can be a little to into their "power". I've had encounters that were pleasant with police (ie: they were sympathetic or gave a warning) and others that are just plain mean. Human nature I guess. I'm sorry that you went through that. I think you did the right thing by "fleeing" to a crowded public place, and could've defended that in any court.

Wendy sent me, btw. :)

Tue May 02, 12:16:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

My dear friend, what an upsetting experience you've had. He should have realised how it was for you and been more sympathetically instead of treating you like a hardened criminal.

Tue May 02, 12:18:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Kimber said...

I am so sorry this happened to you sweetie - I had a similar experience when I was 24 - I was pulled over for an expired tag - and the officer threatened to arrest me - for an expired tag????? He was so harsh, I ended up crying right infront of him - that soften his tone a bit - but I already felt humiliated - for an expired tag (mine was expired by one day and my fault - but still!!)

When I suffer through injust situations - I do ask God to uphold my cause...and sometimes it is hard to forgive those who mistreat us - but God does ask us to do so - So, I am praying that God gives you the grace to not even think twice about this situation anymore!! - You were some one who innocently got sandplasted...and unjustly treated...but fortunately God is on your side!!! HE knows your character!!!

And one day you will look back, maybe even laugh, and it will be just a story to tell your kids :) Keep your head up high - you are a great girl - that guy was just abusing his authority...and that is wrong!!

Tue May 02, 01:14:00 PM EDT  
Blogger cs said...

As you said last night, perhaps he was looking for a date... just joking... Yeah, honestly there's quite a few reasons that could be thrown out. By the way, you DON'T have to pull over UNTIL the lights and/or siren go on... so next time (hopefully there won't be a next time) if they tell you that you were fleeing, ask from what...

But don't worry, it's over, chances are you'll never see him again. Don't worry about yesterday or tomorrow, today is when you are now...

Tue May 02, 01:30:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Dionna said...

Maegan -
I read your mom's blog too. I'm so sorry this happened to you. I think they totally blew everything out of proportion. For whatever reasons - their pride wouldn't let them back down. I would share it with some of the judges you know, see if there isn't someone who can make a formal complaint. I know many - many people who drive a bit before they find a good spot to pull over. That is never considered fleeing! And any good policeman would understand your concern over your safety.
Satan's just getting you while you're down. I'll say a prayer for you today.

Tue May 02, 02:11:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Nic said...

ok, this is what I posted on your mom's blog. the words I've replaced are done so with an []:

GRRRRRRRRRR! I take a break from visiting blogs for a couple of days and LOOK what happens. Chaos abounds. That whole scenario makes my blood boil for [you]. What was he a cop with a God complex? A short cop with a Napoleonic complex? Just a jerk in general? I hope that he gets written up for that kind of behavior.

Though the scripture reference is right on (1 Peter 2:20). Still, it doesn't keep me from being upset for [you]. SIGH!

Hugs my sweet friend. Big hugs to you indeed!

Wed May 03, 12:29:00 AM EDT  
Blogger prolix said...

'Emotionally Drained' was a very powerful read. I understand how you feel. My son felt the same way when the cops caught him for a minor infraction, and they refused to speak to me over the cell-phone -- and I was 1000 miles away!
I believe that you went through a Romans 8.28 situation. A very tough test, but you passed! And you have great parents!
I request you to check out my blogspot blogs or the simpler/deeper blog at http://borax.wordpress.com
God bless you,

Procyon

Thu May 04, 03:11:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home