Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Softball Tourney, Potential Jobs, and the 4th

Here's pictures from the softball tournament this weekend - yes, I got to play! Can you believe it?!? I'm paying for it now...but it was totally worth it! If I had it to do it again, I'd say yes before you could pronounce actillimandataquerin altosapaoyabayadoondib ab....or something like that! haha

We started Saturday out with a bright and early game - having to leave at 6 AM...LEAVE at 6 AM. You know how hard that is for my family? LOL Anyway, we have to be at the field by 7:00. We get there, get going, and warm up. I can tell it's been a long time and just during the warm up throws can tell how rusty I'll be - forget catching with full gear on and making perfect throw-downs to 2nd when a runner is stealing! LOL


If you know anything about softball (or baseball) tournaments, the format was 2 pool, double elimination. Basically that means you play 2 "preliminary/warm-up" games to decided where you "rank" among the other teams. Then you begin your elimination games after that point. At that point, you play until you win the 1st place trophy or lose two games - which ever one comes first.



The 1st game of the day - the 1st in the 2 "pool games" - we played tight and won 3-1. The team was great, but we played good and hit like crazy!


I started out catching the 2nd game, Tarah pitching. The 1st inning of that game was rough - I was sooooo rusty! I think our dedicated fans could see the rust flying right and left! Thankfully, my two errors were masterfully covered by my dear team and we came out of that inning with no runs scored against us!

We lost the 2nd game like 2-0, but it wasn't a huge defeat as it didn't count in your "elimination" round. So, while we would've liked to win, we went and had a great time - hunting down a Walmart and food! The Walmart looked like it had just opened in the last month and when we asked around for a Cracker Barrel, but the closest one was about 45 minutes away. This town basically had three fast-food choices! We settled for some chicken! LOL

We meet back at the ballfield for our first round of elimination. We play the same team we had just lost to in the 2nd pool game. This time the game wasn't near as close - this other team's bats were on fire and they seemed to hit everything our pitcher could throw their way. Apparently, it just wasn't our game and, unfortunately, the other team was definitely "on"!


To home and bed it is. As the adrenaline of the games wear off, I begin to feel pain (imagine that!). I look down and realize I have a "strawberry" on my leg where I slid (and was safe! :-), two bruises (one on each leg), and two blisters beginning to form on my hand where I'm not accustomed to swinging the bat anymore! LOL I get a shower, moaning about the muscles and how bad the strawberry and blisters hurt in the water with shampoo in them! It likely would've been amusing to stand outside my door and just listen! hehe


We get to sleep in just a bit before heading out for round 2! The 4th game (the 1st on Sunday) is a tight game, back and forth. I was starting catcher, T was starting pitcher. It was pressure, pressure, pressure. Both teams would get runners on and then somehow the defense would find a way out! One time Tarah got out of an inning where bases were loaded with NO OUTS! Talk about major pressure! Finally, the doors crack open a bit and we score one run - with another runner on 3rd base. The pitcher delivers and "illegal pitch" and the runner on 3rd gets to advance home! The next inning, there was a runner on 2nd and I was up to bat. I hit a hard ground ball to 2nd base and it bounces off of her glove into right field. The 1st base coach is motioning me towards 2nd base. I somehow lose the feeling in my legs and fall down...I scramble back to 1st base safely! The umpire in the field yells, "Time out! Time out! Illegal move - the splits!" to everyone's laughter - including mine! My coach then says I take karate and starts laughing and joking around that I'm a blackbelt...I think I got some different looks from the other team after that remark! haha The final score of that game was 4-1! We advance!

It's on to the team that we've already played twice - and lost both times. We know this will be a tough game, but we start off strong. We're hitting rockets, but it's always right at a player. I'm playing 1st base in this game, so I get to hear all the action from the coaches and umpire! haha In the 1st inning, a ground ball was hit our short-stop. She barely throws the girl out (but she was out...I caught the ball!). The coach from the other team said something, and the umpire in the field started motioning, "Coach, if you're going to say things like that, you're out of here!" With that, the umpire gives the opponents coach one minute to leave the field.


In the 2nd inning, the other team is once again at bat. They have runners on 2nd and 3rd. Our 3rd baseman gets the ball, looks at 1st base and the girl running - realizes she has no chance to get the girl out, and fires it to 3rd base. The runner dives back, but is called out. The 3rd base coach says, "That's bull! You can see better than that!" The same umpire begins his familiar motion, "If you're going to say things like that, too, you're also outta here!" And with that tells him he has one minute to leave! The umpire makes sure he's going off the field and is following him.

The coach starts ranting, "If you're going to be like this, we'll just forfeit!"

"You want to forfeit? Fine! Final score 7-0!"

With that the umpire walks off the field, to the moaning of several parents and all the girls. We're still standing on the field in our defensive positions ready to play ball - wanting to beat this team fair and square. The umpire is surrounded by the coaches and several parents, so we send a few parents to make sure everything is alright and there just in case a fight broke out.

About 7 girls come out and shake our hands, signifying they were resigned to the fact the game was over. We then talked for a few minutes, both sides apologized and were stunned. The coach that offered to forfeit came over and said he was sorry, saying he wasn't sure what happened.

So, in the 2nd inning the game was called. This puts us in the semi-finals.

The next game was against one of the best teams. After the whole ordeal with the previous game, we just didn't have our heads in the game and basically became a door-mat for this team. We didn't hit, we made errors right and left, and just let them have it on a silver platter. We were tired and ready to head home! LOL



The weekend was great, the girls were a wonderful bunch to play with, and the coaches were excellent! Best of all, they asked Tarah to play in the next tournament with them and since I'm too old (by 7 months) to qualify to play in this tournament, they invited me to dress out with them! :-) There is definitely one more tournament they know I can play in, and hopefully a few others! I love playing ball and this weekend has only gone to prove how much I miss it!


And the ribs? you ask...Well, I can tell they are there - but my entire body hurts so much they don't stand out! LOL I was hoping to start back karate on Wednesday, but I figure I better wait for a few more days and let the ribbies heal from all of this "trauma"! haha

Please also be praying, as I have had a potential political job offer to fall into my lap and I may have to do some training out of town for it. It would be with my "political mother" whom I've known and trusted many years - she has yet to guide me wrong! LOL Just be praying for some quick direction on that, as I've been somewhat getting out of the political loop and now this potential job would put me in the midst of it... more so than ever before!

Oh, and happy 4th! It just doesn't feel like the 4th of July, so I guess it kinda slips my mind! How thankful I am for our freedom - and men and women who defend it each and every day!

12 Comments:

Blogger Luke said...

Wow...sounds like a wonderful time. That really is too bad about the coach/ump thing. Our flesh natures seem to spring out so easily when we're in "competition mode" sometimes. It's sad.

Tue Jul 04, 01:57:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Viamarie said...

What's important here is that you had fun.

Happy Independence Day!

Tue Jul 04, 03:32:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Angie said...

Sounds like you had a great time. I LOVE softball, I even broke my leg playing catcher in a woman's league. Ugh! Now that wasn't fun, and it kinda ended the careeer. :)
Cost too much for me to play! So now my daughter plays and she is a pitcher. We love watching her!
Hope you have a great 4th and I am praying for you right now about your decision.

Tue Jul 04, 08:38:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Hannah said...

Hey sounds like you all had a great weekend!! Happy 4th!

Tue Jul 04, 10:18:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

That's a great post of a happy time with good pics.

Though I live in England, Happy 4th of July, Maegan.

Tue Jul 04, 01:02:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Tue Jul 04, 01:02:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Erin said...

Wow, sounds like tons of fun! Happy 4th to you too!

Tue Jul 04, 01:24:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Matt said...

A political job? That sounds intriguing. I wish you the best of luck.

Tue Jul 04, 01:48:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Nathan L. said...

My God bless whatever you decide to do!

Wed Jul 05, 08:11:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Dionna said...

Maegan -
I'm glad you had a great time playing ball. :)
You've mentioned political stuff several times. What are your interests in the political arena? I"m curious! :)

Wed Jul 05, 11:45:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like you guys had a great time at the tournament.
I am sorry so late for prayers on the job? Any news yet?

Sat Jul 08, 03:48:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, good job at the tournament, it's not about winning, it's about having fun. If you want to play more softball competitively I work at a site called www.sportsvite.com where you can join other teams and play against those from around your area.

Wed Jul 19, 03:08:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home