Sunday, June 18, 2006

Father of the Year!


On Thursday morning (my court date) I woke up and just happened to hear while I was between the stage of being asleep and actually being conscience that there was a Father's Day contest happening for Father of the Year. The rules were simple, send in a "description" of your Dad of 50 words or less - and the deadline was that afternoon.

Wow, I've got to do that...man, I've got to get up, get ready and get downstairs to get something typed and send it in - after all someone's got to win! Who cares about what the prize is...

So, I get up and begin getting dressed and ready to head to court. All the while, thinking about what to write. 50 words isn't much to describe two decades of memories, but I knew if I was creative he might have shot!

By the time I got downstairs and on the computer, I literally had like two minutes to think of something, get the right address imputed, and type. That's not long for how creative I need to get, as there would be hundreds - if not thousands - of highly qualified entries.

I type in what's in my heart (that's the best words, right?), check it for spelling errors. Not even having time to count to make sure I'm under 50 words. And not really re-reading it. Just sending it in with a prayer.

On Friday morning, the one morning this week we were able to actually sleep in, Mom wakes up to the phone ringing. It's the radio station telling, informing Mom that Dad had won the Father of the Year and asked to speak to him (now, we know the main DJ, the one who called, so it was funny because we haven't talked to him in forever and Mom was like, "Hey! It's Lisa..."). Dad's asleep and he takes like 30 minutes to wake up - like, taking a shower, getting dressed, eating breakfast long!

Mom starts nudging Dad, "David, you've won some contest, they need to talk to you!" He groggly gets up and starts talking!

Well, she runs into my room (where I'm sleeping with Granny Duh) and shakes me awake. "Maegan, Dad's won some kind of contest...what did you do?"

"No, he didn't!"

"Yes, he did! Now, what did he win?"

"Tell me he didn't!" I mumble again.

"He won...what is it?"

"I think," I begin, "he gets a dinner somwhere and something else." Remember, I hadn't even heard the prizes. Just decided on a whim to enter him.

"Is he going to be on the radio? Like, they are talking to him and he's half-asleep. You know how he is!"

"Yes! He'll be on the radio! They are recording him!"

I jump up and we both run into where he's walking around trying to wake up while talking to the DJ. You can tell he hasn't sounded very "enthusiastic" the entire conversation, so Mom mouths, "You'll be on the radio! They are recording!"

At that point, the DJ had asked for our address - obviously, they are not going to play that part on the air. But Dad starts giving our address with a new tone, a very upbeat, very dramatic tone! We busted out laughing at his sudden change, but it was too late to do anything! They had him recorded and it was done!

I run to wake the other two girls up. We have a family gathering around the radio in my room - piled on my bed and around in the floor. T's still in la-la land, sitting on the side of the bed. Well, I look up and she's just falling off the bed. No grunt, no yell, no reaction. She just hits with a thud as we stare stunned, then break out laughing as she sits up and smiles. She's definitely awake now! LOL

It was just a great morning, and an honor I think my Dad deserves. I'm just a little partial, but I honestly think I have one of the absolute best Dads in the entire world! I haven't met another man I would be willing to take his place.

What he did win was a dinner for two, a CD, 4 tickets for a theme park, and a night away! But the biggest honor for me was he did get the title Father of the Year!

Now, for my entry. I don't feel it's anything special or anything magnificant. Just words that seemed to flow from my heart about my Dad!


My first and one of the purest memories of my Dad is when I was 2 and in the hospital and having to stay in a "tent." My parents didn't have much and had another baby, my little sister, who had to stay with my grandparents. But I remember my Dad would work so incredibly hard at his job, then he'd drop by the dollar store get me a few toys to make my stay a little nicer - then he'd take the time to play with me! I get tears in my eyes thinking about how giving and selfless my Dad was during that period of time. My Dad has proven to be a man just like that over the years, hard-working, selfless, honorable, honest, and always thinking of others. He lost his father to cancer in March, and I'd love for him to be able to get away and have something to distract him as the only way we can get him to relax and really take a breather is to get him away from everything!


Love you, Dad!!!

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Sweet one - is is incredible. Thank you so much for sharing and congrats to your dad for being the "Father of the Year"...He has some great kids...
(((hugs))),
Iris aka Eph2810

PS: thanks for the beautiful Father's Day post on my blog.

Sun Jun 18, 01:01:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

Maegan, many, many congratulations on speaking from the heart and winning that heart for your father. You are truly Daughter Of The Year.

Happy Father's Day to all.

Sun Jun 18, 05:54:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do have to admit you do have a great dad! I miss him a lot since I have not been around so much, and miss the rest of you a ton to. He does deserve to be recognized for what he does. I miss my dad in some ways because when mom was better our family was almost just like yours. We did almost everything as a family, and would go on trips and just have fun. Now the whole thing is so hard on him, and being a family is nearly impossible. I can be thankful for the years we had, and ask you to cherish what you have Mae which I know you do. You never know how long you will have things the way the are. I pray that you will be blessed with many years with your family being healthy, and tell them all I love them. T fell off the bed lol. I have seen that sleepy side of her a whole lot, but that would have been funny to watch. Glad she did not get hurt. Take care sis... JJ

Sun Jun 18, 08:14:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Radical One said...

hey girlie! it was a great morning, couldn't have planned anything much more exciting and fun, even if i'd tried. God is so good to give us precious surprises.

your dad truly is an awesome man. as you knowm he has always given so much to you three girls and he is blessed by the love and joy that you give back to him. thank you for serving and honoring him.

and thanks for entering him on the radio contest!

blessings!

Sun Jun 18, 11:28:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Erin said...

That is amazing, wonderful, and very very sweet! What a great way to start the day off. :) I loved your paragraph you sent in, it's shocking you put something like that together in 2 min!!

Sun Jun 18, 12:41:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

That's beautiful, no surprise to me that it won!

I stopped by to say thanks for playing in the Blog Olympics Training Camp!

Sun Jun 18, 10:28:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Luke said...

You're a great story teller. :)

What an awesome fathers day present

Sun Jun 18, 10:53:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Viamarie said...

Wow! You must be really proud to have a father like your dad. And I'm sure he is very blessed to have a good daughter like you.


Cheers!

Mon Jun 19, 08:30:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Hannah said...

Oh thats so sweet!!! I had a great time with you guys too!! Send me some pictures!!
Hannah

Mon Jun 19, 10:21:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Crystal said...

What a great tribute to your dad! I hope if I have a daughter one day that she'll be just like you!

Mon Jun 19, 10:45:00 AM EDT  
Blogger mS eLoVe said...

That was really wonderful!

What a blessing for a Dad to have such beautiful and sweet daughters.

This is the time that I missed my Dad. He passed away 8 years ago, even then I still have missed him and will always be.

Thank you for this. You always put a smile to my heart every time I visit your blog, and those pictures they are so beautiful.

Hope I could learn Karate someday :)hehehe

Mon Jun 19, 01:08:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Dionna said...

Maegan -
That is so great and so memorable for your dad! I know he is probably far more touched by what you said and did for him, than actually receiving what he won.
I hope this gives him the boost he needs after some really tiring and stressful months.

Mon Jun 19, 02:21:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

That's awesome!

Mon Jun 19, 04:10:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Tracie Nall said...

What a great story--I loved the way he changed his tone and got all upbeat to share his address. Too funny.

Tue Jun 20, 12:12:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

What an awesome daughter, great job with making hid day that much better!! I have to wipe away the tears now!!

Tue Jun 20, 11:49:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Nic said...

Oh sweet girl, that is just beautiful! I am so glad that you got to show your appreciation of your father and allow others to see just what a wonderful person he is! Both of you are truly blessed to have each other as family.

Love ya doll! Hugs to you and the fam from me and Em.

Tue Jun 20, 12:02:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Jada's Gigi said...

Congratulations!! I agree, you must win daughter of the year!

Tue Jun 20, 05:08:00 PM EDT  
Blogger The Complimenting Commenter said...

That is a fantastic story. He does deserve it and it's great that you took the time to write those few words. Well done and great post.

Wed Jun 21, 08:17:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home